local

I think I've mentioned that some of our family are hanging out down the road at the nearest "living center," or what used to be called old folks' homes. My activity with them is van rides once a week. I head down mid-morning and help 5-9 sweet things on to the van. Some of them are sweeter than others! We get all buckled in and drive for an hour, wherever "Sam," the activities director for the dementia unit, decides to take us.

We've been to the reservoir outside of town, to a covered bridge, and most often just choose a direction and head out into the country, especially when the leaves were gorgeous in October.

Sam loves to make the residents laugh, so he tells stories of growing up around these parts and occasionally gets them to add something in, or at least ask where we are. I've heard about the local bigwig who passed away last month (apparently he was pretty nasty in his business dealings, but successful) and a woman who used to teach at Julliard. When Sam asked if she could make it in the van, she answered sharply, "I used to get around Manhattan. I can find my way on to the van!"

Last week we passed a local hardware store on a county road. Sam mentioned that in 2005 we had an ice storm that kept some people without power for over a week! Stores had a hard time staying open without electricity for the registers, but the hardware store kept a lot of customers (and made many more) by turning on generators for the store and using pen and paper at the registers for those needing to work on their houses.

On the same trip we also passed a couple of cracking drive-in theaters. Sam told us what they were like in their heyday - and after that. After drive-ins began to fade, someone turned one into an x-rated movie theater. Yes, a drive-in. He says the police ticketed a LOT of people who pulled over on the side of the road. But the mayor of the central town nearby happened to also be Sam's barber, and he wasn't bothered by the new style. He just appreciated all the money they brought into the town.

Sam also pointed out the most direct country roads to my new job. These roads and beautiful frosty sunrise mornings are making it dangerous for me to drive! I want to take photos the whole way.

I'm learning from Sam about what life in Indiana during hard financial times looks like. He was laid off, went to community college for a year and a half until his unemployment was cut off, and delivered pizza for a while. He budgets a certain amount of money for gas each week, and by working really hard is so close to paying off his house and his truck. Then he feels like he and his wife will have a bit of a breather.

I am so glad to have a job - but I'll miss the van rides.

Comments

Popular Posts