Another Day at Work

A rainy day a couple of weeks back...several of the men, throughout the morning, walking past my reception booth with worms in their hands, removing them from inside the chapel, putting them back in the puddly grass. Family Services clients swapping stories, razzing each other about their favorite baseball teams: two Boston Red Sox fans in the lobby on the same day! Plenty of laughing. A random comment overheard: "I'm waiting for the Lord to bring me a woman, saved and sanctified. " :) What?? And, regularly, "Have a blessed day."

An ill-fated decision by three guys (one very new, the other two restless) to drive back to their home state one night. They took off in New Guy's truck around 8:00 p.m....around 4 a.m. we heard from the police. New Guy was in jail, the other two asking to come back. One (Young Blushing Guy) was okayed, the other had to fend for himself. As a couple of the kitchen guys came out to pick up a donation by the desk, they saw Young Blushing Guy. One slyly asked, "So, how was (home state)?" The whole room erupted into tension-relieving guffaws.

Today, I was "doll" and "sweetheart" (I've even been called "honey" twice in our little town by ESL speakers, one Hispanic and one North African/French. Such talented cultural adapters!)

I usually say "good morning" to each of the guys as I see them for the first time in the day...the first 5 men were named Michael (or Mike)! We have seven, at the moment, and as I was leaving today, #8 was checking in.

Even on the quiet days, it isn't boring.

Comments

Popular Posts