and another day at work...

...in Family Services, apparently Middle-Aged Women Day. Some days are Older Black Men days, or Families with Small Children days. (This phenomenon works in the men’s program as well: on July 2nd, I checked in two men, one born on July 1st and the other on July 3rd of the same year! I’ve checked in a Stone and a Rocky on the same day, and had a Lewis and a Clark come in at the same time.)

It was a little slow, so a couple of the women had a chance for conversation, just the two of them. One has had a stroke, although she’s only about 45 years old; the other is a widow, and “when he died, the money went. He would turn over in his grave if he knew I was asking for help.” But they agreed that “the Lord will provide. Not always in our time, but He is always good.” They were so grateful. Every morning and every night the widow thanks God for every second of life given to her, every new day. The one with the stroke talked about how frustrating it is to not be able to speak with expressive, long words, “but I just thank God, I just thank Him.” (This one I see in the store where she works in town; she always has a big smile and many amen!s and big hugs.)

Days that remind me what is really important - and how simple life should be.


Comments

Popular Posts