Empires Fall

Family. Such a complex and immediate body sensation! It forms my bones, is my nest, made me, lets me leave, welcomes me back, sharpens me. I want it, resist it, can’t fix it, and love it, with all the mess, pain, and strength it brings.

One pattern in our family is ambivalence in decision making. We regularly reference the 1967 Jungle Book movie vultures: “whatchoo wanna do? I dunno, whatchoo wanna do?” Shoulder shrugs. So when it came to a recent first event (my generation’s first 60th birthday!) we were classic. 

This is the plan - but not formally put out there. Some conversation goes on around it. The decision makers hear about the conversation. The plan is canceled. Other low-key plans are made. Nothing really happens. Then one action-make arrives, “Why aren’t we doing the plan?!” An hour of conversation: Do we really want to? Does everyone want to? What does the birthday person really want? Oooo, discomfort! Yes no yes no, nooo. Ok, let’s go!

Karaoke happened, another first, in a location that wasn’t everyone’s normal, with an unexpectedly amazing DJ. And it was a blast.

These Boots Are Made For Walking. Sonny and Cher. Jungle Love. A plan for Janelle Monae quickly adjusted to Elton John in light of the audience. That audience brought in even more with a velvety Sweet Caroline. Carole King!

A highlight of the night was the unexpectedly amazing DJ singing You’ll Be Back, from Hamilton, our millennials, Gen Z’s, and Gen X’s belting it out along with him in a room of Boomers more comfortable with Lynyrd Skynyrd and John Mellencamp. (Our Boomers were bewildered.)

Jonathan Goff’s voice has been in my head ever since, the eyebrow lift and sliding vowels, the sly words and subtle hilarity, the occasional soar.

Enjoy. I hope you can get it out of your head.


Thank you, ambivalent family, for getting us there! And happy birthday, DBT. :)


Comments

Popular Posts