Here she is again

This year I picked up a book by Rebecca Solnit, written when she was young and had wandered around Ireland after unexpectedly gaining citizenship there. I had never heard of her, and I found her voice poetic, thoughtful, funny, at times murky, and like one of a woman privileged to spend time in her head - and using her privilege and that voice.

A month or so later her book on roses, or George Orwell, and both together, was in front of me in a Corvallis, Oregon, bookstore.

She keeps popping up.

Goodreads lists her writing as on "feminism, western and indigenous history, popular power, social change and insurrection, wandering  and walking, hope and disaster...."

My kind of writer.

I picked up M's Resurgence & Ecologist magazine this morning for a short browse and immediately saw her name as editor of a current book on climate justice, the emotion of it and the possibilities for it. It's going on my list.

Reading her takes work, sometimes re-reading, and plenty of thinking. It may take me the rest of my life to get through it, and it will be worth it.

I'll be mixing in some Calvin & Hobbes between books, though. Or maybe standing out in the cold clearing my head.

artist: Annemarie Teall





Comments

Popular Posts