Balance, Again??

Life just takes so much concentration, some days! It seems like the balances should eventually become second nature, less demanding: the alreadys but not yets, the joyfully living pleasing to God but not doing it to earn His approval, the serving of our communities but caring for our families.

As I have said so often, we have had gifts poured into our laps, a house and land, beauty, friends, strangers and their time and their talents. Just yesterday a young dad and his son came over to survey a siding/window dilemma I have. They are coming back next week to take care of it, just loving to give of what they know how to do. It reminded me (as I am reminded over and over) how much I have.

And then this morning, I was reading along in Matthew and came to the "rich young ruler" section. Sell everything, share with the poor, the camel through the eye of the needle illustration. I can say with confidence that this does not apply to me right now. Our Good Shepherd has led us to quiet waters and green fields, and He is asking me to take care of these fields, to provide a home for my kids, to learn what it is to settle and be and follow to what is next. But what does Matthew say to me? How do I receive and use His treasures while holding them lightly? When do I move over that centered balance point from being a wise steward to letting go of things that can distract me?
Got me.

I have a feeling that easy answers aren't going to work and that it's different for each believer, which makes our life of faith interesting and alive and deeply satisfying, and sometimes exhausting. There is no coasting here! One thing I hold on to, that even if I feel I'm making "wrong" decisions, there is no lack of grace. And that there is much less "wrong" than I feel.

  1. He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater,
    He sendeth more strength as our labors increase;
    To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,
    To multiplied trials He multiplies peace.
  2. When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
    When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
    When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
    Our Father’s full giving is only begun.
  3. Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision,
    Our God ever yearns His resources to share;
    Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing;
    The Father both thee and thy load will upbear.
  4. His love has no limits, His grace has no measure,
    His power no boundary known unto men;
    For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
    He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.


Comments

Popular Posts