Sights and Sounds and Words

in our little town

Running just before the sun rises is one of my favorite things, watching the light hitting the tops of the trees and making its way down, hearing the silence of pre-dawn interrupted by wind and birds, and a few cars. And some talking runners (not me, today, as my running partner is out of town).

This morning I saw the blond fast runner woman (twice), the blond slow runner woman, the two 30-ish men who run every Sunday morning. Also a great blue heron peering into the White River, some woodpeckers, Canada geese and mallards, the usual chickadees and cardinals. It was 20 degrees, and I was glad for my fleece ear band...but somehow it still feels like spring.

Last week I heard a turkey-like call for about half an hour out around our acres and could not see anything...finally found the big V's way overhead. Sandhill cranes migrating! That was a first. I wanted to call my dad.

Yesterday I spent all day cleaning windows and gathering winter's branches to burn. (The boys burned them, mostly, but I like the gathering part.) My 48-year-old muscles complained this morning, but they were glad I got those running shoes on.

Things I've read and enjoyed in the somewhat recent past: The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing (Bank), Once Upon A River (Campbell), I Was Told There'd Be Cake (Crosley), Thirteen Days in September: Carter, Begin and Sadat at Camp David (Wright), Fried Walleye and Cherry Pie: Midwestern Writers on Food (2013), Surprised by Scripture (Wright), Let's Take the Long Way Home: A Memoir of Friendship (Caldwell). Currently reading Henson, The Biography (Jones)  - of Jim Henson.

Sabbath today. I will work on my application to a grad program, make the boys eat salmon, and...not much else! Read about Jim Henson, probably, practice handing over rather than worrying about the future, and hopefully talk to a daughter or two.

Comments

Popular Posts