In some cultures, connecting with people you've just met is a verbal thing.

In France, if you aren't able to talk pretty much non-stop, giving your opinion or bringing up questions and perspectives on any possible topic, you are considered none too bright. Don't talk about personal things, though. We don't want to know your job, your income, the make of your car, definitely not why you need to leave after we've met, and probably not your name.

In Indiana, don't just say "hello," but make a comment about the weather or the crops, mention what you know about the high school football team, tell about your Aunt Bernice's hip replacement. Talk about personal things, make jokes by being sarcastic or making fun of something, or you won't make a connection.



I don't think I really have a culture anymore, but I'd rather work with people than talk with them, at the beginning. A little segue....On the other hand, I've begun some long-lasting relationships with working, and some with talking. I won't give up on talking about my uncle's VW Beetle just yet, or my father-in-law's operation that left him a body part of a pig in his heart. It could be the start of a beautiful friendship....

Comments

  1. Ha ... I distinctly remember being crammed in the back of G's bug ..!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts