Really?



When I was last conscious of sock fashion in the States, black socks with shorts were definitely out, especially with sandals. This had been accepted truth for decades.

Most boys and men here are wearing...black socks! With sandals, with tennis shoes, with khaki shorts and gym shorts. Is this Nike's fault? (They seem to be mainly Nikes.) Is it any black sock? Or only sports brands?

I actually went out and bought my 7th-grader black socks after the first day of football practice, because he was the only boy out of 40 with white socks. (He hadn't noticed, and in fact prefers the white, so the black languish in his closet.) His shorts are also shorter than most of the others', but again he doesn't seem to care. Seventh grade boys do have some advantages over girls.

Is this just a Midwestern thing? It's hard for me to imagine that the surfers in my hometown are donning black with the Harachis. Oh, wait, those have been out for the past couple of decades, too...with their Tevas or Crocs or Keens or -

This is somewhat incomprehensible to me.

Comments

  1. Many people think black socks are more "grown up", as there are many people who think white socks make you appear too college like. I never had anything against white socks, to me they are cool too. In summer, black ankle socks with loafers for me, white ones stand out too much (especially brown leather), while black is neutral, goes mostly unnoticed, it's almost like not wearing any socks. I only wear socks with shoes though, never with sandals. I feel I'm slowly going to join the school of thought "no shoes with shorts" consequently no socks, to solve the sock choice "problem" at the root.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts