Small Triumphs

I now know how to do recycling here! It took a while.

We live in an apartment, in a complex on the very edge of town. Our garbage is therefore collected by a private company rather than the city trucks, which would take our recycling in its bright blue bags. So, what to do with our piles of plastic containers, cartons, and paper?

I've been finding places, little by little, that take various kinds of recycling. The plastic shopping bags (which we don't use often, but occasionally) go back to the stores. Small phones and batteries, they have a place in Walgreens...Target takes glass, plastic and paper, but in smallish quantities, and Target is on the other side of town.

I finally figured out that I can indeed get those blue bags. I just had to call a phone number, and the coupons for getting them were in my mail the next day. Then I had to go to the library to pick up the bags (also available at the post office and various grocery stores). So now I can put my stuff in the bags! I think we'll need to buy a smaller kitchen garbage can, as about 2/3 of each bag before was recyclable.

I do have to take the bags myself to the recycling center, which is not so near our house, but doable. It's on the way to the digital library, where we can check out an iPad (when their one working tablet is available) or a Kindle, and not too far from the independent butcher, who buys his chickens from a local Amish farm.

just for fun, here is what the grass looked like when we moved in after drought and in 100-degree heat - and what it looks like now, after some good rains.

Think it'll be even greener after the Hurricane this weekend?

Comments

Popular Posts